perfSONAR Deployment Guide
ESnet has deployed perfSONAR services at over 30 locations, and recommends that all sites deploy at least 1 perfSONAR host as well. You should deploy a perfSONAR host on the same subnet as the end systems that you want to monitor. You may also want to deploy a perfSONAR host just inside your side firewall to help test and debug firewall performance issues.
The easiest way to install perfSONAR is to use the Performance Toolkit distribution. Instructions for installing the perfSONAR toolkit are here. We recommend DOE SC Labs configure their hosts to use "DOE-SC-LAB" as the "community string".
We classify perfSONAR deployments into several bundles:
- ISO installation: The perfSONAR Toolkit is currently made available as an ISO image that can be mounted to media such as a CD, DVD or USB drive. This ISO contains a full CentOS operating system with additional perfSONAR packages required to perform, collect and publish network measurements.
- perfSONAR Bundles:
- perfSONAR-Tools: This bundle includes all tools used by perfSONAR. These tools are useful for network testing and troubleshooting in general, and we recommend you install these tools on any host where you need to maximize network performance, such as a Data Transfer Node.
- perfSONAR-TestPoint: This bundle is targeted at organizations that run a centrally managed test mesh and use a central measurement archive. It contains all perfSONAR tools, including those to publish the location of these services to the perfSONAR-PS Simple Lookup Service and to run scheduled measurements. This is also the bundle to use on low-end hardware.
- perfSONAR-Core: The perfSONAR-Core install includes everything in the perfSONAR-TestPoint install plus the measurement archive.
- perfSONAR-Complete: This is the full set of perfSONAR packages Toolkit distribution. It includes everything in perfSONAR-Core and also contains web interfaces and Toolkit configuration. This provides an option for installing these packages without using the Toolkit ISO.
- perfSONAR-CentralManagement: The perfSONAR-CentralManagement Bundle installs the central mesh config, Maddash, centralized config service and the autoconfig.